Thursday, June 28, 2007

Raga Lahari

I was watching a telugu movie "Swathi Kiranam" - A Ray of talent. The story is about an egoistic music teacher who is jealous of the extraordinary talent of his disciple. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swathi_Kiranam), (http://www.dishant.com/album/Swathi-Kiranam.html). Naturally music is an integral part of the story. When I was a kid one of my bed-time stories was about how Tansen(court musician of Emperor Akbar) could light a lamp with his music(raga Deepak) etc. The music in this movie may not be as good as Tansen's, but it would surely light up one's soul. One has to hear "Aanati neeyara", "Pranathi Pranathi" atleast once to know what I am talking about. Such rich lyrics and tunes - one song(Pranathi Pranathi) in two different ragas(tunes). The warmth of the early dawn, high energy and exuberance of the morning light, the binding radiance of noon rays, gradual receding of the glow during dusk seem to be embodied in the music(Quoting Srinivas Kanchibhotla). Kudos to K.V Mahadevan! Truly, music is divine!

(Sigh! I don't have the voice to do justice to these songs but thankfully my auditory processing is good )

2 comments:

A Guy From * said...

Music of this movie is really great but unfortunately I couldn't understand the complete meaning of the lyrics.

I never liked this movie so much though its a typical classical movie. Perhaps I like -"And they lived happily forever," kind of endings.

Karteek said...

It's not just about music of this movie. Its deep in every tune. It's in the listening ears to love the music.

I loved songs like "Pranathi Pranathi" to rock beats of Linkin Park.

Swathi Kiranam is one of the very few movies in imdb with rating more than 9.0 which certainly makes it a masterpiece :-)