Sunday, September 23, 2007

Self-sufficiency vs Interdependence

There are several weddings around the corner. Each couple seems like the best in town. So curious George started wondering "Is the need for each other keeps relationships going?" or being self-sufficient? Some of us wouldn't like others to be very dependent on us. This dependency is not just about materialistic things, but emotional dependency as well. For example, they need someone else to help them through an emotionally difficult situation. It can range anywhere between building confidence for a project/presentation to coping with a loss of friend etc. The situation may not always sound difficult to both the parties. Maybe we'd enjoy it in the initial days as a bonding process. But over time we scoff at them for not being able to manage things on their own. On the other hand if two people are self-sufficient as individuals, as a couple will they compete with each other? or are they more compatible and it's pure magical love which binds them together? (Now there can be different interpretations to the word "love")

Another question comes to mind - Is it true that marriage completes an individual? For example, a reserved guy ends up having a talkative wife. But does that also mean that if a person is really good, he/she ends up getting a wicked person as the other half? ... now that sounds unfair!!!

3 comments:

Karteek said...

No wonder the biggest doubt for me is to be self-sufficient or to be interdependent.

When I depended on others, they told me to learn how to live without others.

Now, that I tend to be happy with my performance and my life without depending on others ... people think that I'm "Selfish", "Loner" etc etc

For me the answer is ... Try not to be dependent. Be self-sufficient. But, never let your loved ones know that you are not dependent on them. I just don't know. I really can't cheat myself that I don't need anyone or I can't cheat my loved ones by convincing them that I need them. This is pretty much complicated.

But, my previous relationship taught me to take life as it comes. When you're dependent - be dependent; when you're not - don't be.

About marriage :
It never completes an individual. But, a marriage with some understanding and compatibility will certainly make that individual complete. I'm a guy who tend to give people toooo much importance. But, I'm the same guy who is not comfortable when others give me toooo much importance. It just depends. I can tell one thing for sure - My wife would feel that she is the unluckiest girl in the world or luckiest girl in the world but certainly nothing in middle. Or may be .. I just think so :-)

A Guy From * said...

I remember my father saying that we should be like water drop on the lotus flower. Though they seem attached to each other, actually they are not.
But to have beautiful sight(experience) its good to see them together.

Pria said...

I guess it all depends on the other person...if he /she is okay with you being dependant on them in evryway then evrything wld be fine...few are not....What i have learnt from past relationship is its gud being self-sufficient with materialistic things...but emotional dependency is required...life after marriage would bcome more demanding ,more of emotional dependency.If this is missing u r missing the flavor of that relationship.